Driving through road construction with the windows down, smells of summer waft into nostrils mixing gas, sewage, barbecue and cut grass. Chaos of sounds impale ear canal with machinery, traffic, neighbors backyard radio and children laughing or crying. Arriving home the demands of spouse, offspring, pets, or parents is enough to drive anyone insane.
Summer is a time of relaxation; peacefulness gets lost in the details of everyday nurturing. Here are a few ideas on how to keep your sanity this summer.
1. Exercise- this isn’t just for you, get the offspring moving and others you nurture. I usually exercise alone and check in with each offspring. I try accommodating mate’s exercise schedule so he isn’t disturbed.
2. Read a Book–read alone or to offspring, or have them read to you. Talk to your public librarian about suggestions. The following websites might help: www.education.com, www.scholastic.com/summer/, www.childrensbooks.about.com/od/forparents/tp/summer_reading.htm
3. Find humor, creativity– check out www.thepianoguys.com
4. Three deep breaths in and three deep breaths out–Sometimes I get one breath in and then I’m distracted.
5. Mindfulness and Prayer–both force me to remove myself for a few minutes and focus.
Thriving against the insanity isn’t easy but its harvest is abundant.