Have to be in several directions at once but need to refuel the whole family in minutes before dashing off? Here’s a few quick fix nutrition faves; customize to your picky family’s tastes for raves.
1. Baked Potato Bar. Serve with several choices for each person to create their own pizza or taco potato with pepperoni, cheese, salsa, sour cream; or add bacon bits and cheddar. (Buy thick cut bacon and keep in freezer, cut off a few cuts from the end and sauté in fry pan for bacon bits for soups, casseroles, and baked potato.) Make sure to have protein options that everyone will eat to balance the meal.
2. Sandwiches. Have a variety of bread like bagel thins, hoagies, pitas, and regular sandwich bread. Toasted, Grilled. Pita pizzas. Nut or seed butters, lunchmeats or egg salad, chicken salad, tuna salad– check your local deli for ideas you can create at home.
3. Soup. Can, box, or make in the crock pot. Scratch soup: sauté onions, garlic, peppers, or mushrooms in butter and olive oil. Add to crock pot. Add prepared organic stock. Add cooked ground meats, leftover chicken, turkey, beef, pork, cooked cubed meats, vegetables of your choice including potatoes. If you are adding rice or pasta cook completely, cool or give cool rinse before adding to the pot so they don’t soak up all the juice. These steps done ahead or early in the morning. Sometimes a boxed organic tomato soup with a grilled turkey and swiss sandwich will hit the spot in under 15 minutes!
4. Quesadillas. Tortilla, cheese, veggies or not, another tortilla or not, grilled or microwaved. Serve with Tortilla chips, salsa , sour cream, and guacamole as desired.
5.Burritos. Organic refried beans, cheese, whole wheat tortillas. Heat beans and tortillas in microwave. Each person assembles themselves. Serve with tortilla chips and salsa, sour cream, baby carrots, or microwaved sweet corn.
6. Mini pizzas. Bagel or english muffin, tablespoon of sauce, cheese, toppings, put under broiler for about 4 minutes.
7. Salads. Add chicken , turkey, or other meat, peppers, cucumbers, beans, or nuts, and fruits like apple, pear, peach, or berries, add hardboiled or fried eggs, sunflower or pumpkin seeds, pepperoni, herbs, salt, pepper. Serve with family favorite dressings and vinaigrettes, cheeses, or croutons. Add a bowl of soup or bread.
8. Breakfast. Pancakes, waffles, french toast, crepes, eggs, hash browns, bacon, cereal or any combination. Make large batch and have for breakfast later in the week.
9. Leftovers. Warm and eat. Add salad or frozen vegetable side for balanced meal.
10. Combo clean out. Egg burritos, chicken quesadillas, french toast grilled cheese (monte cristo), black bean and sweet corn and spinach salad with salsa and guacamole, pizza tomato soup, toasted waffle nut butter and jam sandwich, tex-mex potatoes–see what your family can come up with using what you have available and thirty minutes or less.
May you thrive in nurturing all around you.